Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Opposites Attract





In my house I have two animals that are direct opposites. I love my dog Smokey, a very large German Shepherd, bull in a china shop, protector, with a row of teeth as long as my hand. Smokey stands guard in the house and no one comes in or out without a thorough looking over. Everything you'd ever want in a guard dog and companion. Then there's Bella, my daughter's cat. Graceful, beautiful, playful, not a care in the world, fun with a capital F. And somehow against all odds they are inseparable. They spoon each other. Bella is always waiting at the door for Smokey and they are never far from each other. Even as I am writing this blog Smokey is next to me and Bella has her paws across Smokey's. It is against the laws of nature that these two should be so close, but they are. They do spend time apart but as soon as the day slows down or there is lull in the everyday hustle and bustle of our house, you find Bella and Smokey laying next to each other, playing, Bella moving in and between Smokey's legs and Smokey simply watching, and protecting. I don't know if the two of them can communicate, doggie language versus kitty language. Maybe there is some kind of chemistry that constantly draws the two of them closer. Maybe in a different world or a different land Dogs and Cats live together all the time. I know that it exists here in my house and it makes me happy.

No comments: