Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Years Eve, Surreal!!!




This was another first. I found myself standing around a bonfire in the middle of Canada, in the middle of the Canadian Rockies, on a frozen pond, drinking hot chocolate with 3000 residents of the small city of Canmore. Surreal. People ice skating, pulling sleds with their kids, dogs with mittens on their feet running around. I knew one person, Cindy. We celebrated the New Year in a way we had never experienced. To say the least it was surreal. People from a different world, a cold world. A real cold world (-25C). if you took away their passports and accents and HEAVY jackets, they are no different than you or I. But they are different. I was brought up in sunny, warm, So Cal. They were brought up in a place that they love and call home. I would have loved to talk to each one of them and find out their story. Where they are from? What is their life like? How are they different and how are they similar? 3000 different stories. My new years resolution is to hear some of these stories, anywhere I roam, to talk to the people around me. To engage in society. And maybe even blog about a few of them, who knows???

No comments: