Friday, April 16, 2010

True Love

How is it that almost every movie I watch has some kind of love story or romance. If it wasn't for movies like Saving Private Ryan or Predator or any Chuck Norris movie, I would say that our society is obsessed with finding and/or having true love. Well I saw it. It was a short brief glimpse into the heart of true love, but it was there, glaring obvious even to the point of bringing it to the attention of my co-workers. An elderly gentleman had fallen. He took a medicine that had dropped his blood pressure and before he knew it, he had tumbled to the ground in a parking lot and banged up his forehead. As all this happened his wife who had Alzheimer's sat quietly in a chair next to him oblivious to what had happened or even, no doubt, who it was who had fallen next to her. But as we evaluated him it was obvious his concern was for her. He was not hurt but for a scratch on his forehead and as we walked away I watched as he took the hand of his wife, who could not even remember his name, and led her to the car and helped her in. This man embodied the phrase "In sickness and in health". She could not even tell us his name, but there he was, taking his wife out, caring for her, directing her, and loving her . . . . truly. It is not man-made, it is divine and it is slowly becoming more rare every day. I for one am glad I saw this couple. It is a challenge to me. It was, truly, True Love.

No comments: